Rushmore Family Collection, 1811-1997
The Rushmores were a prominent Quaker farm family in Nassau County for over 250 years. They operated a dairy farm in Old Westbury from 1685 until the mid-1840s when they relocated to Roslyn Heights. They continued dairy farming until the late 1800s, and then switched to farming potatoes, corn, and root crops. The farm remained in operation until the late 1940s when it was sold to land developers Levitt & Sons.
Collection spans the years 1811-1997, and includes account books, autograph books, genealogies, guest books, letters, manuscripts, maps, news clippings, notebooks, notes, photo albums (including cartes de visite albums), photographs, postcards, printed materials, publications, school papers, scrapbooks, typescripts, and videotapes.