Digital Research Center at Hofstra MENU

Digital Solutions to Problems in Scholarship and Learning

Harbor Hill, Mackay/Hechler Collection 1900-2000

Harbor Hill was a Gold Coast estate located in Roslyn, Long Island, New York, and owned by the Mackay Family. The property on which the estate was built was given to Clarence Mackay and Katherine Duer Mackay as a wedding gift in 1898 by Clarence’s famous parents, John W. Mackay and Marie Louise Hungerford. The house was the site of many elaborate parties, including grand celebrations honoring the Prince of Wales, and Charles Lindbergh. Charles Hechler was the superintendent of Harbor Hill from 1907-1938. The estate was eventually demolished in 1947.

The collection is composed of correspondence, newspaper clippings, bills, photographs of members of the Mackay and Hechler families and Harbor Hill. There are also many collected pieces of ephemera and maps.