Freese, Walter C. (1903-1968) Collection, 1920-1996
Dr. Walter C. Freese graduated from the University of Buffalo School of Medicine in 1926. Soon after, he moved to Baldwin, N.Y., and opened a home office. In the early 1940s, he became a Fellow of the American College of Surgeons (FACS). In 1949, Freese was named the head of the division of general surgery at Nassau Hospital. He was also attending surgeon at Meadowbrook Hospital and Mercy Hospital. During the 1960s, he became one of nine police surgeons in Nassau County. He held this position until his death, and was always very proud of the police badge that he carried. In addition, Freese served as vice chairman of the First National Bank of Freeport, NY, where he was also president of the Finance Committee.
The collection, which spans the years 1920-1996, consists of certificates and diplomas, family photographs and photo albums, newspaper clippings, and scrapbooks compiled by Freese and his family. Also included in the collection is Freese’s medical bag, medical and surgical supplies, and four medical books.